Friday, May 7, 2010

A FAMOUS MONSTERS Dream Come True!


















Early last week, on Facebook, I hinted at a secret project that had recently crossed my desk. Moments ago, Jessie Lilley, editor of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, gave me permission to reveal the cause of my extreme excitement.

Among a few other writers, personally chosen by Jessie, I will have a special feature published in the 250th anniversary issue of the legendary magazine!

The issue will be devoted to the cameo film career of the original FM editor Forrest J Ackerman, affectionately known to his readers as "Uncle Forry." My story covers his involvement in Dino Laurentiis' 1976 remake of King Kong.

If you'd like more info, it's only a click away:

http://famousmonstersoffilmlandforum.com/index.php?topic=46.msg304#msg304

In those formative years so long ago, Famous Monsters was often a kind of security blanket for me. Having been a pretty sick little kid, frequent visits to the doctor's office were only made bearable by the hopeful anticipation of finding my favorite magazine at the drugstore newsstand. FM never, ever failed to make me feel better.

Today, that joy is magnified a hundred-fold. Now, I'm actually a contributing writer for Famous Monsters of Filmland. I wish to express my heartfelt appreciation to Jessie Lilley for thinking of me. I don't believe I've ever been so excited, and honored, over a writing assignment.

Although I only met Forrest J Ackerman once, I've always credited him as the single most influential person in my life. Without Uncle Forry so enthusiastically introducing me to the literary and cinematic world of the fantastic, I seriously doubt I would ever have become a writer at all. Because of him, I learned that Frankenstein was first a classic novel, that Edgar Rice Burroughs created much more than Tarzan, and I was introduced to the poetic prose of Ray Bradbury. All that and much, much more. I'm especially happy that I actually got the chance to thank Forry for that.

All these years later, Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine is once again a motivating and magical part of my life. And, remarkably, I'm now a part of its historic celebration.

Uncle Forry always told me never to grow up.

Glad I took his advice.





















2 comments:

  1. I'll look for the Famous Monsters mag. I assume it'll be distributed to Barnes & Nobles etc. Congrats on getting to write an article in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow Famous Monsters fan I am really thrilled for you! I too used to really look forward to the next issue of Famous Monsters of Fimland I can imagine how excited you must have been to be in on a favourite and to use a much over used word iconic magazine!

    ReplyDelete