Monday, November 1, 2010

Farewell Halloween 2010


















The beagle and I toured the neighborhood last night, soaking in the Halloween moment.

Every year, since I was a kid, it's been very important for me to go in search of that feeling, that certain tinge of mystery in the crisp autumn atmosphere that marks this night like no other. Whatever is going on in my life, for worse or better, the magic always manages to find me. It's weird and wondrous.


















As we strolled along, Trudaloo meticulously studied new scents while I admired many imaginatively decorated houses. Last year was wet and windy, leaving a lot to be desired, but last night more than made up for it. There was lots of extra special effort on almost every block, including one magnificently monstrous house with a prowling Grim Reaper--all of ten feet tall (on stilts...I hope!) patiently waiting with a giant pouch of treats for the little goblins to dare its frightful front sidewalk.

A cawing, cantankerous flock of over-sized crows seemed to follow us from street to street as the dusk turned to darkness. And, finally, we saw Trick 'R Treaters! Real Trick 'R Treaters! Swarms of them haunted under the streetlamps. Many more than last year. A healthy sign for my favorite holiday, I think. By far, the most popular costume I saw were Witches. Lots of tall, peaked hats and broomsticks. Just about perfect.


















I've got to keep extra busy now and try not to let the post-Halloween depression set in, as it usually does. Maybe I'll manage to dodge it this year, but I know the odds are against me.

Even so, it sure was magic while it lasted.


4 comments:

  1. Not only am I happy that you and the pup got to have another magical Halloween moment while prowling the neighborhood, but I want to thank you for sharing it with us, and giving Me a magical post to read. Top notch!
    r/e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I love the bottom photo of the kids. My nephew's kids went as an owl (for the girl) and aarrgh, a pirate (for the boy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like it. Don't worry my friend, Hallowe'en comes every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, Martin. Sounds like your Halloween was perfect.

    ReplyDelete