Thursday, March 18, 2010

R.I.P. Fess Parker, King of the Wild Frontier














When Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier played on Sunday evening's Wonderful World of Disney, every kid in my neighborhood was glued to the tube. Me too.

I'd missed out on the original craze of Davy Crockett coonskin caps, but my older brothers had enthusiastically prepared me for the frontier wonderment that lay ahead. Thanks to them, I had inherited a stack of comic books, an awesome Davy Crockett lunchbox, and learned that our next door neighbor had appeared as an Indian extra in Davy Crockett and the River Pirates, which had been filmed on the Ohio River outside of my hometown of Louisville, Ky. Didn't get any cooler than that.










I can't begin to express how much I loved this series. One of my proudest moments was posing for a photograph next to a monument in Davy Crockett State Park when I was nine years old, while on a family vacation in Tennessee.


















Today actor Fess Parker, world famous for his roles of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone, has passed away at the age of 85.


















I wish I could have met him, just to say how special those shows were to me. They still are.

Rest in peace, Fess. Say hello to Davy and Daniel. I'm certain they are very grateful to you, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100318/ap_en_ot/us_obit_fess_parker

5 comments:

  1. My God, I am floored. I was always such a huge fan of the Crockett series. It held a place in my heart right next to Roy Rogers. What a loss to the world. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Godspeed Mr. Parker, I will never forget.
    sad news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree... I grew up on "Davy" and always had a huge respect for Fess Parker... This really bummed me out. I lived in L.A. and used to go to Disneyland all the time, and Frontier Land was all about Crockett...

    RIP, FESS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry here. I can fully sympathise. Between Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett, Fess Parker was such a large part of my childhood. I remember watching Daniel Boone every Thursday and the Davy Crockett shows every time they were rerun on The Wonderful World of Disney. It is so sad to know he's gone from our midst. Godspeed, Fess Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Brazil,I see Daniel Boone and David Croquet show,in 70's TV,in my childhood.Good times,times of real heroes.
    I send the draw od Spider for you,now,im email martinpowell221b@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was news to me as I hadn't heard of his passing. I guess Wonderful World of Disney and Davey Crockett was really huge to us from the 50's. RIP, Fess Parker.

    ReplyDelete