Tuesday, July 21, 2009

One Giant Leap















Suddenly, almost magically, I didn't mind being my age yesterday. Because on July 20, 1969, I was there. watching the single greatest achievement in the history of humanity.

For a brief shining moment we were one world, one person, all of us dancing on the silver lunar dust. Even as a little kid I could feel it, knowing I was witnessing a miracle. The wonders of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Edgar Rice Burroughs had become real right before my eyes, on our old fuzzy b&w TV screen.

















The sight of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the Moon changed me that night. I felt mysteriously different after watching the Great Event. I remember going out in my dewy backyard and looked up at the Moon glowing against the deep Kentucky sky. I thought, "There are people up there! Right now! Men walking on the Moon!"


















I wanted to be up there, too. More than anything.

I still do.

Boy, do I ever...

2 comments:

  1. I know a guy who can get your ashes up there cheap. Maybe along with your ashes part of a finger or thumb. Who's to say? We talk, drink, talk some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't drink. And I don't die. Got to think of another way.

    ReplyDelete