Wednesday, August 19, 2009

DRACULA Returns!


















I just received the very welcome news that Moonstone's new horror anthology, VAMPIRES: Dracula and the Undead Legions, has gone to press and will be available in time for Halloween!

My short novella, The Evil of Dracula, is the lead feature, a prequel of sorts to Bram Stoker's classic novel, and follows my own past continuity for Count Dracula.

Here's my original pitch, after being approached for the story by editor Dave Ulanski:

Count Dracula invades the fog-shrouded streets of London seeking blood, power...and retribution. As the most terrifying creature on Earth, he has only one fear; the eternal damnation that inevitably awaits him, an unending agony haunted by teeming masses of his murdered victims. Having lived far more than a single lifetime, the Count knows there is no escape from Hell.

Van Helsing, with the aid of Dr. Henry Jekyll, are secretly on the threshold of a phenomenal discovery, which will eclipse the greatest achievements in history--erasing forever the hold of Evil upon the soul of humanity. Suddenly, even for the ancient vampire, there is Hope.

A pact is formed of blood and honour, but even as the magic of Victorian medicine is mixed into the dark nature of Dracula, a greater horror is hiding in the shadows.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh. Sounds like a winner! The Wold Newtonites (such as myself) will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, I'll be sure to pick it up, Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys.

    This was a story I'd wanted to write for ages. By the way, if you're keeping count, this is my fourth published story featuring Dracula.

    I confess to having a decided fascination for Stoker's vampire, and I still have a few more plans for him drifting around inside my skull.

    Hopefully, someday someone will invite me to tell those tales, too.

    ReplyDelete