Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Halloween Muse


















Many writers seem to "live" their work, but what happened to me yesterday was rather eerie and can only be described as the work suddenly developing a life of its own.

While writing an integral chapter of The Halloween Legion a profound secret within my little group of weirdos abruptly made its presence known to me on the page, taking literal control of the story.


















I was utterly stunned.

This is the rare moment when creatively motivated folks genuinely feel the presence of their "Muse", something seemingly outside of themselves, guiding the process. My characters were actually writing themselves and telling me what they wanted me to do--practically demanding it.


A rather bizarre experience even for me, to say the least, but also kind of wonderful.

The Halloween Legion © Martin Powell. Artwork © Danny Kelly and Thomas Boatwright.

1 comment: