Saturday, August 20, 2011

R.I.P. Jimmy Sangster













A very sad farewell to screenwriter and director Jimmy Sangster, who passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Mr. Sangster is best known for his very successful scripts for Hammer Studios.

He was an amazing writer, and his movies inspired me tremendously. Among many other creepy classics, he also wrote The Horror of Dracula (1958), starring Peter Cushing and Sir Christopher Lee, directed by Terrence Fisher. I consider that production to be the greatest Dracula film ever made, and seeing it for the first time at the age of eleven was a life changing experience for me.

I wouldn't be the writer I am today without the influence of this remarkable man, who could take classic material and transform it into something fresh, new, and exciting. There would certainly be no Scarlet in Gaslight without the inspiration of Jimmy Sangster.

Rest in peace, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment