Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy 75th Anniversary to THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN!


















"She's alive!"


I first saw this, the greatest of classic horror films, when I was about five years old. The performance of Boris Karloff, in particular, effected me on a genetic level and I was never the same again.

It's difficult to estimate how many times I've seen this fabulous old monster movie, but it must be close to hundred by now, surely. Having watched the DVD again this evening, in celebration of the film's premiere on April 22, 1935, James Whale's epic grandly gothic vision still casts its formidable magic spell.

I'm absolutely certain that without The Bride of Frankenstein I wouldn't be the man, or the writer, I am today.


















(There's a week-long celebration going on over at the always fantastic Frankensteinia Blog. Go take a peek:
http://frankensteinia.blogspot.com/)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Martin. Here's to a new world of gods and monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the link, Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein, classic ;)

    ReplyDelete