Friday, July 2, 2010

My, uh, Artwork














More years ago than I care to count, I actually started out as an artist. I worked very hard at my craft and took it very seriously. Finally, when I was about 19, I reached a rather crude professional level and began to get a few paying gigs.

Ultimately I came to realize that my passion was far greater than my talent. Also, I was just too slow. I would have starved had I continued to pursue a career as an artist.




































So, luckily for me, I had a rare moment of good sense and switched to writing instead, which has been much more creatively satisfying and profitable.

These posted drawings are not prime examples of my ability, but they are currently all I have to show. Hopefully more will follow.

The small color pics seen below were 2x3 inch cards which I sketched for a charity auction at a con just a couple years ago. Obviously, I'm a couple decades out of practice, but my heart was in the right place.

So, here's a bit of a giggle for everyone...

















































3 comments:

  1. You know, Martin, I think all of us who love comics start out wanting to be artists. I too have some rudimentary skills at drawing, and in grade school was always the one doing blackboard illustrations of various holiday scenes for the teachers. But by my sophomore in high school, I realized there was no way the little art talent I had would ever grow. And like you, I turned my sights on writing. Guess we both made the right career switch. Ha.

    ReplyDelete