Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Vincent Price and Christopher Lee!

































Yesterday we celebrated the memory and art of the fabulous Peter Cushing. Today, by happy coincidence, is the birth date of the late, great Vincent Price and living legend Christopher Lee.

I owe tremendous debts to this trio of gentlemen. We will not know their like again.

Delightfully, Mr. Lee, at 87 years old, is still as active in films as ever. At the date of this writing he just completed another and has five more movies awaiting release. An amazing, brilliant actor and a special favorite of mine since I was about ten years old. For me, Christopher Lee will always be the definitive cinematic Count Dracula. No other actor has come close, nor had such affection for the original novel by Bram Stoker.

In yet another odd coincidence, Dracula itself was first published 112 years ago--yesterday.

Strange, indeed. And also wonderful.





















6 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! Love them both-

    Have you seen the previews for the new Sherlock Holmes movie? Opinion? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy!

    Regarding the new Sherlock Holmes movie...

    Well, I clicked play for the trailer with one hand, then promptly held my nose with the other.

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny: when I read your Peter Cushing entry, I was going to post a comment asking if you were going to do the same thing when it was Christopher Lee's birthday. I had no idea they were so close together. Fitting, I suppose, for two guys who did so many films together. Too bad they couldn't have been in the same Star Wars film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another missed opportunity by Lucas. Christopher Lee should have played the Emperor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin, to continue my conversation re: Sherlock Holmes movie (Sorry if I'm out of order) A friend of mine found that most men have the same reaction you did to the trailer. She wanted to know why- So, I thought I would come to the source... :)

    Hope you are feeling better-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny what a difference a year makes. I didn't like that Holmes trailer either -- but we both liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete