Monday, June 28, 2010

FM # 250...It's ALIVE!!


















I just learned that Famous Monsters of Filmland # 250 made its successful debut at this past weekend's Monster Bash 2010, in Butler, Pennsylvania!

In the words of Michael Heisler, the new Editor-in-Chief, "FM #250 is alive and well and selling like hotcakes."

Pre-orders on the special
Forrest J Ackerman tribute issue are shipping this week. I have two stories featured in the legendary magazine, and I don't think I've ever been this anxiously excited to see my words in print.


















I was a sick little kid, with a scorching sore throat and a raging fever, the very first time I saw a copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland. I'll never forget that. Mom and I had just left the doctor's office to fill my prescription at the drugstore next door and, after sipping a soothing fountain Coke at the counter, she patiently waited while I perused the comic book rack. Suddenly, I saw it. Famous Monsters of Filmland # 34, with the gloriously green face of Mr. Hyde leering lecherously at me from the lower magazine shelves. It genuinely felt as if I was dreaming. In fact, the whole episode still feels very dream-like in my memory.

Mom bought the mag for me that day, and I've never been the same since.


















As I stated many times over the span of my two decades as a professional writer, Forry Ackerman was enormously influential to me and the career path I decided to take. It is extremely gratifying, and humbling, to finally appear as a featured writer in my life-long favorite magazine. I never dreamed that this could ever happen.

When editor Jessie Lilley called me up one quiet Sunday afternoon explaining to me that the historic FM # 250 was to be in honor of Forry, and that she needed writers, I literally felt the blood dance through my brain. Lisa can attest that I've been in a sort of giddy haze ever since.

So special thanks to Jessie, Michael, Phil, and Forry's gentle ghost for bringing this writer full circle and making my wonderful dream come true.


2 comments:

  1. I am so very happy for you, Martin. Dreams do come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully they'll sell this at Banes & Nobles so I can buy a copy. I watched the remake The Wolfman tonight, nice film, love the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete